This DIY coat rack is simple to make and easy to hang up when using Scotch™ Extreme Fasteners and Command™ Outdoor Large Brushed Nickel Metal Hooks. It is a perfect addition to a garage entryway!
– Command™ Picture Hanging Strips – this project used four sets
– Command™ Outdoor Large Brushed Nickel Metal Hooks – this project used four
– Scotch™ Extreme Fasteners
– Isopropyl alcohol and towel
– Wood boards – this project used two large pieces of the same size
– Wood stabilizer strips – this project used three of the same size
– Decorative trim – this project used one piece
– Paint and paint brush – this project used white
– Table saw or miter saw
– Nail gun
– Wood glue
– Optional: wall storage baskets, floor storage basket, clock and rug
NOTE: Follow all Command™ Brand package instructions for proper surface cleaning and prep, adhesive strip placement and recommended weight claims.
1. Determine the space on the wall that you plan to hang the Fall coat organizer on. Gather all supplies and clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol, wipe gently and let dry.
2. Measure the space on the wall, and use a table or miter saw to cut the two larger piece of wood board down to size.
NOTE: Be sure to follow all manufacturers’ safety guidelines related to using a table or miter saw.
To assemble the coat rack, lay the two pieces of wood cut in step 2 horizontally. Use a nail gun to secure three smaller pieces of wood vertically – one on each side and one in the middle – to connect the larger pieces together.
NOTE: Be sure to follow all manufacturers’ safety guidelines related to using nail gun.
3. Turn the rack over, and use wood glue to add a piece of decorative trim to the top of the wood boards.
4. Paint the wood board and trim in the color of your choice. Set aside to dry, allowing at least seven days for the paint to fully cure.
Secure the rack in place on the wall using Scotch™ Extreme Fasteners.
NOTE: Be sure to follow package instructions regarding application and weight restrictions. The full weight of the rack and items being hung from it should not exceed 10 pounds. One inch of product holds up to two pounds.
5. To add hooks to the rack, remove the Command™ Outdoor Large Brushed Nickel Metal Hooks and adhesive strips from the packaging and separate the strips from each other. Remove the blue liner and press the adhesive to the base of the hook.
Then, remove the black “wall side” liner and press the hook to the surface for ten seconds. For maximum holding strength, slide the hook up off of the base, and press the base firmly for 30 seconds.
Slide the hook back onto the base and wait one hour before use. Repeat steps 7-9 to adhere remaining three hooks to the rack.
6. Add name tags for each family member above each hook, using Command™ Picture Hanging Strips.
OPTIONAL: Supplement the area by with a clock and nearby storage baskets to keep garage areas organized through the Fall season.