Vining plants look beautiful and are easy to take care of on decks in front of patio windows by creating trellises to hold them up - create them by using twine and Command™ Outdoor Large Clear Window Hooks! Easy to apply and remove - Command™ Outdoor Window Hooks leave behind no marks or sticky residue and are designed to withstand extreme temperatures.
- Command™ Outdoor Large Clear Window Hooks – this project uses eight
- Pot or planter – this project uses two planters
- Plants to put inside pot or planter – this project uses Verbena and Alyssum
- Vining plant – this project uses Clematis
- Garden Soil
- Garden Twine
- Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol
- Dry-Erase Marker
NOTE: Follow all Command™ Brand package instructions for proper surface cleaning and prep, adhesive strip placement and recommended weight claims.
1. Gather your supplies and prep the window surface by cleaning it with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, wipe gently and let dry.
2. Plan the layout of the Command™ Outdoor Large Clear Window Hooks on the window and use a dry-erase marker to identify where they will be placed.
NOTE: The hooks should be in a rectangular grid, parallel to the ground with the bases of each hook at each corner of the rectangle.
3. Remove Command™ Outdoor Large Clear Window Hooks and adhesive strips from the packaging, and detach the strips from one another. To adhere the first clear window hook, remove the black “wall side” liner and apply the strip to the desired location.
NOTE: Remember to place the hook such that the base of the hook is at the corner of the rectangle grid, with the nose of the hook facing outward.
Remove the blue liner and apply the hook to the strip, making sure the tab is accessible for future removal. Press firmly along the entire clip for 30 seconds.
4. Repeat step 3 to adhere the remaining Command™ Outdoor Large Clear Window Hooks that complete the trellis grid. Repeat steps 2-5 to create another trellis grid for the second planter.
Loop garden twine around the left corner hook and secure with a tight knot. Unravel the twine until you reach the right corner hook (directly across from the left hook) and loop the twine once around the hook.
5. Continue unraveling the twine toward the bottom left hook (directly diagonal from the previous hook) to begin creating an X that extends to each corner of the grid. Loop once around the hook and unravel more twine until you loop it around the third hook directly across from the second hook. Complete the X by securing the twine to the first hook (diagonal from the third hook) with a tight knot. Cut the excess twine with scissors.
Repeat this step to add twine to the second trellis grid.
6. Add garden soil to the bottom of the planters. Gently place the plants in the planters and fill in the remaining space with more garden soil. Slide the planters in place under each twine trellis.
7. Gently weave each vining plant through the twine trellis above it and watch it continue to grow on the windows over the course of a few weeks.